With Easter eggs begging to be used, I started Googling to look for egg salad recipes made with avocado. To my surprise, the recipes out there are not as good or as healthy as they could be. If you skip the mayo completely and replace it with avocado and a little plain yogurt, you are on your way to a better-tasting, higher-quality egg salad. But the finishing trick is to add a sweeter vinegar like white balsamic vinegar to bring depth and balance to the flavors. I find that if a recipes uses only lime juice, the resulting flavor leaves me wanting a little bit of sweetener to balance it. Add hot sauce to taste along with salt, pepper, and red onion to finish it off, and you have the most wonderful avocado egg salad! This recipe divides easily by four to make one serving. Eat it open-face or closed-face on whole grain bread or eat it wrapped in a few layers of Romaine lettuce. Wasa brand whole-grain crackers are also terrific. No matter how you eat it, this creamy mayo-less avocado egg salad is both satisfying and delicious!
No-Mayo Avocado Egg Salad
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 medium avocado, pitted
- 4 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 4 Tbsp red onion, chopped small
- 3 - 4 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp sauce (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the eggs and place in a small mixing bowl. Add the avocado meat and yogurt. Use a fork to mash together until combined. Add onions, vinegar (start with 3 Tbsp and add more for consistency as needed), hot sauce, and salt and pepper. If desired, place on Romaine lettuce leaves, whole grain bread, toast, or Wasa whole-grain crackers with baby spinach leaves, cucumbers and/or sliced tomatoes (optional). Serve immediately or refrigerate the salad. Makes 4 open-face sandwiches or lettuce wraps.