Last week I attended the Food Nutrition Conference Expo which was in Boston this year. I go to this conference every year looking for the best tasting foods and recipes. Many whole food associations are there encouraging real, fresh whole food packaged by Mother Nature. I want to salute the U.S. High Bush Blueberry Council for having my favorite healthy recipe: Farro and Blueberry Salad. Check out their website at www.LittleBlueDynamos.com. Also, keep posted for my other favorite products and recipes from this event.
This salad is filling and delicious. Perfect as a fresh side dish or a lunch meal. With fiber and plant-based protein, this farro and blueberry salad will keep you full and ready to take on the world.
Farro and Blueberry Salad
- 2 cup farro
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1 apple, cored, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- In a medium size skillet over medium-high heat, toast farro, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring until fragrant.
- Add broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Transfer farro to a large bowl. Add dried blueberries, fresh blueberries, pistachios, apple, parsley and chives. Pour vinaigrette over the mixture, stirring until combined.